I purchased this model because of the right balance of power, memory, storage space, and battery life. The great video card was a factor as well. The reviews I've heard about Acer's commercial technology were just great so I had no worries about taking a chance with a company that I'd never owned a computer from before. Turned out to be one of the best computers I've ever owned!
* Platform Technology Intel Centrino
* Built-in Devices Stereo speakers , Subwoofer , Wireless LAN antenna
* Width 15.9 in
* Depth 11.7 in
* Height 1.7 in
* Weight 8.2 lbs
* Localization United States
* Notebook type Desktop replacement (7.5 + lbs.) , Game-friendly laptop
* Screen type High-gloss/Anti-glare screen , Wide-screen
* Processor Intel Core 2 Duo T8100 / 2.1 GHz
* Multi-Core processor technology Dual-Core
* 64-bit processor Yes
* Data bus speed 800.0 MHz
* Chipset type Mobile Intel PM965 Express
* Type L2 cache
* Cache size 3.0 MB
* Installed Size 3.0 GB / 4.0 GB (max)
* Technology DDR2 SDRAM - 667.0 MHz
* RAM form factor SO DIMM 200-pin
* RAM configuration features 1 x 1 GB + 1 x 2 GB
* Storage controller type Serial ATA
* Storage Controller / Serial ATA Interface Serial ATA-150
* Floppy Drive None
* Hard Drive 320.0 GB - Serial ATA-150
* Storage Removable None
* Hard drive type Portable
* Type DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM - Integrated
* CD / DVD read speed 24x (CD) / 8x (DVD±R) / 6x (DVD±R DL)
* CD / DVD write speed 24x (CD) / 8x (DVD±R) / 4x (DVD±R DL)
* CD / DVD rewrite speed 16x (CD) / 6x (DVD-RW) / 8x (DVD+RW) / 5x (DVD-RAM)
* Card reader type 5 in 1 card reader
* Supported flash memory cards xD-Picture Card , MultiMediaCard , Memory Stick , SD Memory Card , Memory Stick Pro
* Display Type 17.0 in TFT active matrix
* Max Resolution 1440 x 900 ( WXGA+ )
* Widescreen Display Yes
* Color Support 24-bit (16.7 million colors)
* Features CrystalBrite
* Graphics Processor / Vendor NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT TurboCache supporting 1280MB
* Video Memory GDDR2 SDRAM - 512.0 MB
* Max Allocated RAM Size 768.0 MB
* Audio output type Sound card
* Audio output compliant standards DirectSound , Dolby Home Theater
* Audio Input Microphone
* Camera Type Integrated
* Input device type 4-way scroll button , Touchpad , Keyboard
* Features Built-in numeric keyboard
* Modem Fax / modem
* Max transfer rate 56.0 Kbps
* Protocols & Specifications ITU V.92
* Modem features Wake on Ring
* Networking Network adapter
* Networking / Wireless LAN Supported Yes
* Data link protocol Fast Ethernet , IEEE 802.11n (draft) , IEEE 802.11g , Gigabit Ethernet , IEEE 802.11b , Ethernet , IEEE 802.11a
* Networking standards IEEE 802.11a , IEEE 802.11g , IEEE 802.11b , IEEE 802.11n (draft)
Expansion / Connectivity
* Expansion Bays None
* Expansion Slots Total (Free) 1.0 ( 0.0 ) x ExpressCard/54 - SO DIMM 200-pin , 2.0 ( 1.0 ) x Memory
* Interfaces 1.0 x Network - Input - Mini-phone 3.5 mm , 1.0 x Modem - VGA - Mini-phone 3.5 mm , 1.0 x Infrared - S-video output - 4 pin USB Type A , 1.0 x Microphone - Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX/1000Base-T - Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm , 1.0 x IEEE 1394 (FireWire) - Phone line - IrDA , 1.0 x Hi-Speed USB - SPDIF output/headphones/line-out - RJ-45 , 1.0 x Display / video - Line-in - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15) , 1.0 x Audio - RJ-11 , 1.0 x Audio , 4.0 x Display / video
* Features Wake on LAN
* Power device form factor External
* Voltage Required AC 120/230 V
* Technology 8-cell Lithium ion
* Installed Qty 1.0
Operating System / Software
* OS Provided Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate
* Microsoft Office Ready Includes a preinstalled image of select 2007 Microsoft Office suites. Purchase a Medialess License Kit (MLK) to activate the software.
What's in the Box:
Power cord w/ power block
8 cell Lithium Ion battery
Aspire 7720-6604 notebook
For the immense size of this notebook (15.9" x 11.7") it has a sleek, modern look to it. When the unit is closed there are no sharp lines to detract from the visual effect, and when it is opened the glory of the 17" display and full keyboard + number pad just brings a WOW factor that few other notebooks can manage.
The picture quality of the display is amazing. No matter what you are viewing, whether it be a movie or a graphics-intensive game, the display never misses a frame. I can look at this display from about a 75 degree angle and still read text- pretty impressive! The bright end of the display is super-bright, but the low end of the brightness could be a bit lower for those night-time sessions where the brightness could hurt your eyes after a while. Even in direct sunlight I have very little problem in reading the display, though occasionally I do need to shield it from the light. I've been running this model for over a year now and there is not a single dead pixel. Wish I could say the same for my other notebooks!
The keyboard on this model is a breeze to use. The full-size keys are easy for even my fat fingers to hit, and the inclusion of a number pad makes calculations very simple. It does get a bit warm, though, after extended use. The function keys are:
F2: System Properties
F3: Power Options
F5: Switch between notebook display, external display, or
F6: Switch on/off display
F7: Enable/disable touchpad
F8: Mute/unmute sound
F12: Scroll Lock
Left/right arrow: lower/raise brightness
Page Up: Stop audio playback
Page Dn: Rewind audio playback
Home: Play/pause audio playback
End: FF audio playback
The touchpad for this model is good. It is a bit sensitive to touch (often my finger moving over it to get to the keyboard will register a click) but otherwise works exactly as I'd like. the 2 button + 4-way scroll are great to have.
There are 4 multimedia keys located on the Pg Up, Pg Dn, Home, and End buttons, which are located below the number pad. This is a rather convenient location when you want to quickly adjust what's playing
On the front lip, next to the touchpad, there are indicators for power and battery, and on the top there are indicators for wireless, num lock ,and caps lock. The power button also lights up to indicate power on.
the integrated wireless IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n (draft) provides great wireless networking. I never have any problem connecting to my router. And with the draft n, I get connection speeds of up to 144.0 Mbps. The range is huge, allowing me to see the (secured) network of my closest neighbor, who is a good 200 yards away.
The built-in speaker bar across lays just above the keyboard and provides good sound. There is a sub-woofer built in as well, which provides a small but noticeable improvement to the quality of the sounds.
Input and Output Ports
The front of the unit contains 3 ports- an SPDIF output, a line in, and a line out. They are easily accessible, but if you use the unit on your lap (or in some other close proximity to your body), then the protruding cords may get in the way.
The built in Crystal Eye webcam provides decent pictures for a built-in webcam, but nothing close to the quality you could get by buying your own camera peripheral. Still, it is sufficient for web chatting or taking lower-resolution (approx. 1024 x 768) pictures.
The right side of the unit provides a modem port towards the rear and 2 usb ports towards the front. The usb ports are side by side and in a great location, being easily accessible yet out of the way.
The left side of this unit contains the bulk of the ports for this model. Starting from the rear, there is a notebook lock hole, a VGA out port, a DVI out port, an Ethernet port, 2 usb ports, an S-video port, and an IEEE 1394 firewire port. They are all easily accessible, though the 2 usb ports are on top of each other, so plugging in 2 peripherals at the same time can be next-to-impossible if either has any bulk near the connector.
The only port to worry about on the rear of the unit is the power connector. Its location leaves the power cord out of the way during normal operation.
On the bottom of the unit there is a main exhaust port for the fan plus 4 other ventilation areas. The battery has a locking mechanism and there are separate covers for the hard drive bay and the other components.
Size and Weight
This unit has a good bit of power for a notebook. In order to achieve that power you must sacrifice lightness. At 8.2 lbs, this unit is rather heavy compared to other notebooks, but I feel that it is a good trade-off given the speed it runs at.
Heat and Noise
The noise produced by this unit is very low. Even at peak performance the most you hear is the fan running. The super-quiet hard drive is never heard. the heat, however, can sometimes be a problem. With the main exhaust fan being on the bottom and only about 2" in diameter, I have problems with heat building up and the unit shutting itself down. It was a good idea for the manufacturer to include the automatic shutoff in case the unit gets too hot. Just by working with the unit on my lap it will build up enough heat to shut off. This unit is best used as a desktop replacement instead of a ultra-portable notebook.
The battery life of this unit is excellent. The 8-cell Lithium Ion battery provides about 2 1/2-3 hours of web surfing, and about 2 hours of watching videos. Gaming takes a toll on battery life, though, giving just over an hour with a graphics intensive game
The unit comes with the following software pre-installed:
NTI CD Maker
Microsoft Works 8.5
Acer Arcade Deluxe
McAfee Internet Security suite (trial)
Acer Empowering Technology
Adobe Acrobat Reader
Acer Crystal Eye
Microsoft Office Suite 2007 (requires purchase of a Medialess License Kit to activate)
Good battery life
Easily accessible ports
Large, easy to read display
Large range/high speed integrated wireless
Full size keyboard with number pad
Produces large amounts of heat that it can't efficiently
Large size may not fit on some desk spaces
Weight makes it inconvenient to carry around
Overall, I enjoy my Acer Aspire 7720-6604. The pros outweigh the cons for what I use it for, and the only real problem I have is heat. But By controlling where I place the unit and ensuring that the fans and exhaust ports are kept clear, I can work or play for hours at a time. The great graphics card allows me to play such games as Dungeon Siege 2 with graphic setting bumped up past the defaults. I would definitely recommend this model to anyone looking for a desktop replacement notebook.