on dells sight one poster listed a potential shock hazard with the adapter, and my brick gets really hot when charging the battery. I did post that dell users information on this forum somewhere titled Potentially Lethal Shock Hazard with dell ac adapter/powerbrick, be careful where you set your power brick, dont put it on furniture or a table where the heat might affect the finish.
shock hazard would be if you opend it up, capacitors inside carry enough amps to kill you without a doubt. Tv's, Computers, Microwaves, and VCR's are some of the most dangerious appliances in your house to mess inside with powersuply, a tv, unpluged and "draind" of electricity (hiting the power butten when not pluged in) still carry enough amps that if you touched one with a soldering iron, it would kill you without anny question.
i did have a rev A01 power supply which just got too hot and kept cutting out. got dell to replace it with rev A02. much cooler and does not cut out anymore. if u do have a a01 rev and want an a02 you will need to have the motherboard changed for some reason as that happened to me.
Mine (I9300) gets pretty darn hot after long sessions. However, it rarely gets too hot to touch. Those with XPS's may have hotter power bricks because theirs are 130W whereas I9300's have 90W ones. However, my R32 has a 72W brick and it gets just as hot as my Dell 90W one. If a 90W one already gets that hot, then I really don't know how Alienware users deal with their 220W ones!!
As milkpowder mentioned, keep in mind that the 9300 is a 90w and the xps is a 130w - the 130w (had an hp before this with a 130w) draws a heck of a lot more power and gets pretty darned hot (at least my hp brick did). That was a big reason I went for the 9300 - the brick is lighter and cheaper....
mine gets really warm when the battery is charging, its also quite warm when using the ac power, Ive read on dell community forum that these ac adapters can also be a potentially lethal shock hazard and have also heard there has been a recall on them earlier this year, I dont feel as though my powerbrick is gonna last nearly as long as the laptop that came with it, be careful not to set your brick on some furniture or something else you dont wanna damage from the heat
Mine could boil water... and if you think I'm joking... maybe we should sawp adapters! Mine is the worst when the battery is charging, and I'm runing my OCed 1.7 -> 2.27Ghz at full lcd brightness and Unreal Tournament 2004 going.
For those of you out there with very hot power adapters... did you OC your proc?