Took the 8600 plunge
I too took the 8600 plunge yesterday. The ATI graphics card tipped me in favor of Dell and the current rebates pushed me over the edge. I purchased the following through Dell Home (although I actually configed myself online and then called it in):
Inspiron 8600,Pentium M, 1.7GHz,15.4 in WSXGA+
128MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9600PRO Turbo Video Card
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Intel Pro 2100 miniPCI wirelescard
4 Year Limited Warranty & Third Party At Home Service, 24x7 Technical Support
4 Year CompleteCare Accidental DamageProtection (I have a 2 year old & an 85 lb. dog)
Dell,True Mobile 300,Internal Personal Wireless Card
Tax: $39.45 (On the warranty/service component)
Rebates included in price:
- SAVE $90 (Savings included in price) 60GB - 7200rpm Ultra ATA Hard Drive
- Free upgrade from 3 years accident protection to 4 years.
- Free shipping (This wasn't available online, but when I called to order it from a rep it was offered. It might have been because I actually ordered the Dell at first on 12/10 before the previous rebates were finished and changed/reordered on 12/11 when better rebates came out for me. I knew tha would happen!!).
Rebates not included in above price
- $100 MAIL-IN SERVICE REBATE 44105. (this is for a free upgrade from 3 years At home service/warranty to 4 years).
- $150 MAIL-IN SYSTEM REBATE 44103
NET OUT OF POCKET AFTER REBATES: $2,452.45.
A couple of thoughts why I configed as above (a.k.a. a scary glimpse of how my mind works
- I got the WSXGA+ after seeing the Latitude D800 with the WUXGA at a college computer store (there are no kiosks in CA, but I tried calling a UC school thinking that they might sell Dells and they did! Suggestion to anybody looking to see the screens in person). Anyway the WUXGA was a bit small for me. I had already seen SXGA+ on several computers and really liked it so I went with that. I have my customer rep place "No Hitachi LCD" in the order as I told her I'd return it if I got one. We'll see if that helps.
- I got the 256 meg RAM because I'm going to upgrade on my own. Crucial has 512 MB RAM for the 8600 at around $120. I need to price out Corsair. Kingston is more pricey at $160 or something (through dealtime). Any ideas on good RAM that can be overclocked should I ever get the itch?
- I stayed with the Intel 2100 wireless card to stay with Centrino technology and because I don't know if I'll need the bandwidth of "g" for just surfing and playing games. Basically, I figure my cable modem is the bottleneck anyway. Right??? It would have been nice to have the 2100a card (I think is a dual-band a/b, not sure) as I am concerned about conflicts at 2.4 Ghz given microwave ovens, 2 2.4Ghz phones in my house, and I live pretty close to other houses). Anyway, I figure I can upgrade later if I want.
- I'll look for a non-Dell wireless router. I'll probably get an a/b/g to cover my bases for future upgrades. Any recommendations?
Anyway, there she is. I'll benchmark her and post when I get. Ship date is 12/23 I think. These forums have been invalubale to my decision-making process and are THE BEST forums I have seen anywhere!!