Originally Posted by StiM^AddiCt
I've been experiencing sluggish performance in games lately..so I updated all my drivers thru dells website. I have the 78.11 dell official drivers for the 6800 Go Ultra. I ran 3dmark05 because I wanted to compare my system with others on these forums to see if I just had high expectations. Turns out I dont...what is wrong here? my friend with his stock 9300 gets almost the exact same score...
2.13 ghz P-M
1 gig o ram
60 gig 7200 rpm hd
6800 Go Ultra (duh)
Whats wrong here? I'm very :-( right now
EDIT: Also..If i format this lappy...where do I go for drivers? does the dell websites have all the needed ones? or are there more that arent listed there?
Well first off,
What resolution are you running the tests at?
All the 5500ish scores you see posted here for the XPS 2 are for tests that have ran @1024x768.
With your config, there is no reason you should be getting those kind of scores. DRIVERS ARE EVERYTHING for pulling good scores. Remember, just because the driver is new does not mean its better. Some new releases completely suck...
Here is where I would start:
1. If you have ran 3DMARK05 before and scored the typical mid 5000 score XPS 2's get, I would try and track down the driver you used for those runs.
2. Not sure if you know this, but close down all unnecessary apps when running the tests. Even though the GPU is doing all the work, apps fighting for processing time can slow down the system and lower scores will result.
3. Your Northbridge (Big Bad data traffic cop = Andy Griffith) and Southbridge (Little data traffic cop = Barney Fife) play a HUGE role in GPU scores. Make sure your mainboard chipset drivers are up to date and correct...
4. Also remember that adjusting settings in 3DMARK05 will cause lower scores. The huge scores everyone reports are for default test settings @ 1024x768 as I mentioned earlier...
5. Get the SPYWARE off the system if there is any... SPYBOT, ADWARE, SPYWARE BLASTER, XOFTSPY are all great tools at getting crap spyware off of your system which can absolutely tax system resources also possibly causing low scores...
6. DEFRAGING WILL ALMOST IN EVERY CASE GET YOUR SCORES BACK TO NORMAL! Most people DO NOT do it nearly enough and it KILLS performance. I bought DISKEEPER PRO for $60 and its the best $60 I have spent on my system. In less than 15 minutes I can defrag a 60Gb 7200 RPM drive. Now compare that to that pure crap Windows defrag software!
GET IT, USE IT, LOVE IT,
SCORES WILL GO WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYY UP AGAIN
Here is the link bro,http://www.diskeeper.com/defrag.asp
Hope that helps...