- install screen spanning dr. and reboot (don't enable clamshell mode)
- go into display properties in system preferences when u have your external monitor plugged in.
- uncheck mirror displays (when mirroring u r stuck @ 1024x768. selecting any higher res for the external screen while mirroring will result in a boxed in and reduced screen image).
- go into arrangement tab, if u want to use both screens set them up as u choose (u can drag the external to be aligned on any side from the laptop's virtual screen). if u want to simply use the external display as the primary display, click and drag the menu bar to the external screen (otherwise u can't use the higher res screen as the primary display, which to me is the entire point of using this utility). when u unplug the display adapter it will return the main display properties to your iBook's screen. adjust external screen's res and refresh rate to desired level. if i'm not using my iBook's screen as an extended desktop (rarely bc of the extra res i can get on my 19" monitor
), i just turn off the backlight of the iBook.
- enjoy a larger and higher res iBook screen!