Ferrari vs. Travelmate 800LCi
I was able to return my new Travelmate 800LCi to J&R. Here is what I didn't like and hope it is addressed by the Ferrari:
- 800LCi is being phased out and the Ferrari is much more recent
- Poor performance as the 800 is a 1.4 Centrino. Shouldn't be a problem, for the Athlon-M 2500+
- Extremely loud DVD/CDRW due to the modular bay. It improved if I squeezed the sides. Can someone let me now if their DVD-RW is very loud?
- Loud/long fan when watching movies. Probably due to being underpowered. Can someone share their experience with fan volume?
- Only one memory module is easily reached since the other is under the keyboard. This is the same for the Ferrari
- Poor style. Definetely addressed by the Ferrari red
- Creaking on the lower right-hand side. The Ferrari's metallic face should not have this.
My other option would be an IBM R40 (Centrino 1.5) where:
- Ferrari has much worse battery life,
- the 2nd memory module issue and
- slow 4200rpm drive and
- average wireless reception, but
+ IBM R40 is larger, thicker, and
+ is ugly
Is the IBM better quality/support?
This would be my only copmuter for programming, music, movies, browsing...