Instructions for upgrading the BIOS and H8 in your Sager NP9860/80
If you want to upgrade to the latest BIOS and H8 (gives you better fan control) contact either TechSupport@Sagernotebook.com
to request the files. Be sure to include your serial number with your request.
Once you have received the files, follow these instructions carefully:
1. When you purchased your notebook, it included a floppy drive (USB). Locate and attach this drive to your computer.
2. Start Windows
3. Insert a floppy disk and format it as a MS-DOS start-up disk.
4. Save the files (NP9880_H8_S8.rar and R105B.WPH) to an easy-to-remember directory (such as c:\newbios\)
5. Extract NP9880_H8_S8.rar to the floppy drive (you may need to download a program like WinRAR, available at http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm)
6. Leave the floppy disk in the drive and restart your computer.
7. The computer will boot to a command prompt (A:\)
8. At this prompt, type “h8flash.exe h8.bin” without the quotation marks.
9. Restart your computer when prompted.
1. Download and install Winphlash from hthis link. If hyperlinks do not work properly in this document, you may also copy and paste (https://www.synapsenow.com/synapse/d...420wphlash.exe
) into Internet Explorer.
2. Once Winphlash is installed, run it.
3. It should automatically set itself to “Backup BIOS and Flash BIOS with new settings.” If it does not, please set it to this option.
4. Click on the second “Browse” button (linked to the “Specify new BIOS file:” field)
5. Navigate to the directory in which you saved the attached files (in our example, c:\newbios\) and select R105B.WPH.
6. Click on Flash BIOS.
To use the upgraded fan functionality available in this revision of the BIOS:
1. Press Fn+F2 to set the fans to high speed.
2. Press Fn+F2 again to return the fans to normal speed.
3. In the BIOS (F2 at the bootup splash screen), there is now an option to set the fans to automatic (standard) or continuous operation under the “ADVANCED” menu.
4. Under automatic operation, the fans will cycle off when the computer temperature reaches 45 degrees and cycle on when the computer reaches 60 degrees.
5. Under continuous operation, the fans will not cycle off.