Originally Posted by dashby
Boyz, just got to defend my G1 here for a bit.
Let's summarize the discussion on G1 vs F2 thus far:
1. Weight, G1 is heavier than F2. It cannot be argued here. Some can live with 8lbs, some can't. Different strokes for different folks.
2. WXGA has less screen real estate than SXGA+. Count the pixels and you'll see that it's true. WXGA is enough for some, but not for all.
3. WXGA is not yet practical for gaming. While is statement is generalized, it holds true to games like WarCraft 3. Some games work great in WXGA and some don't.
4. Battery life of the G1 is good, but the F2 is better.
These points are not an attack on the G1, rather they're just statements highlighting differences between the G1 and the F2.
Now let's list the pros of the G1:
1. Power. P4 is more powerful than the PM.
2. Components. G1 has faster memory, 7200 HDD etc... (at least when I ordered the F2 the 7200 wasn't an option) 128mb R9600.
3. Relative lightweight for its power. 7.85lbs for a machine with desktop power.
Not everyone will want a G1 because G1 doesn't fit everyone's needs. Just like not everyone will want a Chevy Corvette because some of us need a family car.