Originally Posted by mikemex
Don't compare a consumer grade 17" laptop with a 15.4" enterprise grade one.
The Precision will probably give you enough performance, but also gives you the ability to use a docking station, a modular bay, integrated bluetooth, smart card reader and it is also more portable.
actually that is all just marketing, consumer grade, enterprise
I use latitude C and D lines, i had an D810 personally and have an inspiron 9300; its all the same basic hardware between historical ranges - barr the case and the plastic case of the C series latitude although looking crap was tough enough in a work enviroment
the inpsirion range is almost as well build case wise as the equivalent D series latitude
and the precision brand is the biggest business rip off, all it is is an D810 with a quadro card, which in itself is basically a 6800go
branding is everything, in canada latitude is much much less than presicion typically
there are 4 reasons to choose a latitude over its inspiron equivalent (IMO):
1. Long shelf life for models (for business purchases) for compatibility
2. Automatic built in warranty (at least in canada)
3. Case looks and is tougher
4. the docking station / modular harddrive availability
there is one reason to chose the precision over the equivalent latitude:
1. to get the quadro video card for specific applications (this is business purchase)
Most of these comments apply to 14.1" and 15.4" ranges