This subject went totally AWOL from the OP.
I have XP Pro and Ubuntu Linux on my 9400. Story follows :-
1. Bran Spanking 9400 arrives.
2. above is 'flattened' (yes that's the technical description)
3. Standard Reinstall of XP Pro on 30GB (leaving space).
4. Install Ubuntu. Takes over the boot partition with GRUB (google).
5. Everything works. Mission Accomplished.
Media Direct does not work.
1. Reinstall Media Direct (original CD, not repair) from XP.
2. GRUB is now trashed from your Boot Partition.
3. Run Ubuntu Installer, answer default questions then go through partitioning routine, mount all necessary devices.
4. Go Back.
5. Option To ReInstall GRUB.
1. You can now boot into both XP and Ubuntu from GRUB.
2. Media Direct works perfectly from within XP.
3. Now Power Down.
4. Press MEDIA DIRECT button.
What you see is media direct launching, initial splash screen, then you see the GRUB initial screen but :-
Both on screen at the same time.
Select Ubuntu, cool OS loads = works
Select XP, cool OS loads = works, then runs your Media.
I have not investigated further (LOT = Lack of time) but I feel a competent C, Linux dude will solve this via GRUB with a flick or two of his/her fingers
Please add stage 4.