Monday I wrote AW the following:
It has now been 40 day since I placed my order for an Aurora m9700 laptop
through your website, and 20 day since the original date I was given for it
to be shipped. As of today my order is still in phase 3, meaning you have
yet to even begin building it! After placing a phone call to customer
support this morning I was informed that after 40 days my optical drive is
not available and that it is not known when the drive will be available.
I know I have made 2 changes to my order but putting a battery in a box shouldn't be cause for delay and CS assured me that changing to an Airgo wireless card would not cause delays of more than 24 hours. At this point neither order change has been given as the cause for any delay.
I ********for a living. I need a computer at *work* for multiple data acquisition uses, weather, *live information updates*, as well as live video feeds and video analysis. I also need away to stay in touch with home and *my industry's* community online while I travel. I have also been asked to beta test *some* simulation software. These needs along with my love for aviation and flight simulators lead me to choose your brand.
My last computer was a complete loss so I have been without for some time.
Since the order was placed I have been fortunate in that there has only been
one event *at work where I needed a computer*, but in the upcoming week I will be needing a computer in a significant way. I never imagined that I would not have my m9700 by now.
At this point I must seriously questioning Alienware's ability to deliver
this machine in the near future if at all. Even if the computer were to be shipped tomorrow the delay thus far is simply unacceptable. Will I be receiving this machine this week and if so can Alienware put any kind of guarantee on that? Is Alienware prepared to reduce or refund part of the price of this system should there be further delays. Should I cancel my order and start over with another company. Please advise me on what to do at this point.
Thank you for your time attending this matter
order # 258130
***changed to protect personal info.***
Dear Mr. TBS
Thank you for contacting Alienware.
Unfortunately, there has been a delay with your order. The following part is back ordered and we are waiting for it to arrive.
1 - MOBL-MINAIRGOPCIWIR ...................................................... Expected Date : to be announced.
Since we currently do not have an estimated arrival date for the parts yet, I would suggest contacting us or our Customer Service Department later on this week for an update.
We apologize for this inconvenience.
Monday-Friday from 10:00 A.M.-7:00 P.M. (EST)
Thank you for your understanding and if you have any questions, please let us know at email@example.com
Basically they said call back friday and we will give you an update, never answering my questions. What I am told is that they don't even know when the cards are getting in but they will know more on friday and friday isn't the expected date, just when they might know. I ordered on 6/8 and was given a judged to be accurate shipping date of 6/27. Even if they got these cards next Monday I would have to wait for them to build and test the system, and then 5 days for them to ship it. That puts us at about august 4th, 38 days after the original shipping date. That assumes that none of the other parts I put a deposit down on 41 days ago suddenly become back ordered.
I called AW to see what was to be done. It was suggested that I switch back to the regular card. I said OK, lets do that and start building it today. I was then informed that it would take an additional 48 hours to update the order. No rush service was offered. I declined, that knowing I would be in for the same run around as before.
I was then offered 2 day shipping for free. Amazon.com coupons, and an 128mb jump drive. Great.
I finally, after going back and forth for over an hour with support, sales, and customer service, was able to do the first thing I asked to do when I called. Speak with a manager.
I asked the manager for one of three things to resolve this issue. I felt all were reasonalble:
1. Put any wireless card in it and ship it by the end of the week.
2. Put any wireless card in it and ship it by the end of next week, guarunteed, with 10% discount. (That is $420.00 and they have been offering a $100.00 rebate online so a $320.00 discount for system that took 51 days to build I think is reasonable)
3. Cancel the order and refund my money by the end of buisness tomorrow (so I can start the process of getting something else).
They refused all three and tried to make me feel like the bad guy.
At this point I learned several things.
1. Alienware believes that taking up to 61 days to build and ship a laptop is a reasonable amount.
2. Alienware belives that it is honest, forthcoming, and not misleading to put an estimated ship date on thier website that they know they can not deliver on.
3. Alienware has no ability and or desire to expitdite any part of the order process should special situations arrise.
4. Alienware cannot refund your credit card in less than 5 days.
5. Alienware will make minimal offers should there be a problem. I was offered less than even the $100 rebate you can get if you ordered right now.
6. There is a huge disconnect between the various departments in the company.
7. Time frames given for order changes and the subsequent delays are significantly under estimated. Don't change it at all!
8. The $500.00 used to reserve parts to build your computer is meaningless. If you have a backordered part and are waiting, other parts that are in may be robbed from your system. When the backordered part arrives, the stolen part may now be on backorder.
9. Very few of thier reps speak clear english
I have now canceled my order and am waiting UP TO 7 DAYS for them to repay the $4,200.00 loan I gave them.
I know some of you are Alienware appologist, and will come to thier defence no matter what, but the rest of you be warned. There are major issues with this company.