HP Notebook Hard Drive upgrade - Page 3
about to try 7k200
I'm going to try the above drive this weekend will keep you posted
I had same problem but solved it like this:
- After swapping the drives I got an error where I couldn't enable the internal drive for HP mobile protection from the mobile protection settings window.
- I updated the driver to the latest version (version 31992 from the HP site) and still couldn't (it now said I could (ie not greyed out) but it never actually did it. It always remained with a red cross over it in the task bar and would reset to disabled on closing the settings window.)
- I uninstalled the drivers via control panel, rebooted and reinstalled them and rebooted again.
- Now I couldn't even find the protection settings and they no longer showed up in control panel. HOWEVER,
- I now had an error in my 'system/devicemanager/hardware' under "system devices" at the bottom next to the entry for "HP MOBILE DATA PROTECTION SENSOR"
- I double clicked on this, went to the driver tab and rolled back the drive.
- Without doing anything else I restarted (without being prompted to). Prior to the restart the control panel still didn't show the protection settings icon.
- Bingo !! after restart All's working spot on.
I now have the hitachi 500gb 7200 travelstar running on a nx9420 with mobile protection (under xp).
THE IMPORTANT POINT IS THIS:
I spoke on the phone to somebody at HP prior to buying the drive and was explicitly told that the HP Mobile Data Protection was a feature of the PC and NOT the drive. I was told that ANY drive should be able to operate with this enabled. That's why I had the faith to blunder on through this.
So, regardless of your operating system and drive, you really SHOULD be able to get this to work. More incredible maybe, The HP helpline is approachable by phone from the bog standard contact number found online.
HOPE THAT HELPS xxx