Heh things I don't like about the m505x/xl (BTW don't get the impression that I don't like this is by far the best most liked design of every laptop I've owned (which includes ibooks, PowerBooks, Dells, Toshibas, and HPs))
1. Volume/Mute controls are often very delayed I wish at least the mute was a hardware based mute and not software (hp/compaq likes hardware mutes which is pretty cool instant feature). I find that I rarely use the volume etc controls.
2. The power adapter I wish the connector to the laptop wasn't a 90 degree turn. In case the cord gets yanked it pulls out of the slot at an odd angle and could damage the connector. It needs to be straight through connetor.
3. The power adapter is generic and badly designed the velcro thing dosen't do it. It needs to be like a wrap around or something with a rubber strap (like the Dell 300m/500m/600m/8600)
4. I would have wished to have a SmartCard reader which would be nice but more typically on business laptops.
5. This thing is a but on the heavy side I know a lot of you don't care about weight but its a fair amount heavier than the Compaq x1000 series and very comparable in size. However the build quality on the m505x/xl is far superior to the x1000 so I guess it is a trade off.
6. LCD rubbing against the handrest portion of the bezel cause like these lines. This could be fixed if the rubber "bumpstops" were larger and or taller.
7. I wish there were more aluminum/magnesium construction involved I rarely like plastic (Dells greatly anoy me with their massive quanities of plastic) however I admit that the tight design (I have taken this apart) has proved to be very strong and sturdy (very compareable to the ibook).
8. I wish the touchpad was not recessed into the bezel (I super-like the hp/compaq touchpads that are integrated into the bezel).
9. I wish that the LCD turn off mechism was built into the hinge and not this hole on the bezel (similar to IBM design).
10. Hard drive performance on the m505x is lacking but easy enough to fix.
11. I wish that the laptop would conserve power more, such as turn off the power LED when the LCD lid is closed, and turn off the optical sound jack when not in use or infared as well.
12. The battery placement is rather odd it dosen't come out "clean" you almost need to snap it out and snap it back in. It would be better deisgned if the battery were flush against the edge of the right side.
13. I wish you could customize the laptop on order and add more RAM and upgrade the hard drive.
14. The wireless reception is rather lacking (I think having mainly to do with the Intel 2100 card) So having a Intel 2200BG option or having more optimal antenna placement would help.
15. That they apparently killed off the product line! This is a great product far superior than any comparable Dell or HP/Compaq.
After writing this I've decied I should be designing laptops but oh well yea I must emphasize that I really do love this laptop is by far the most robust well rounded features of any laptop I've owned.