Originally Posted by grecinos
Thanks for the explanation... So far I've only been shocked while the laptop was plugged into the outlet and it only happened that one time I was watching a DVD movie. I've always been concerned about delivering a static discharge from me to the computer since we have carpets in this apartment. As I said before I get shocked by touching the door knobs and light switches now and again...
If that's the situation, your body is building static and discharging it to the grounded laptop.
Your carpet's padding is to blame for this. Not too sure what it is, but from what I have noticed from experiance is that carpet padding made for high humidity and moisture (basement use) often has static problems when used on insulated wood subflooring. When this type of padding is used on concrete without a wood subfloor, it doesnt seam to have static problems, but if it is used on a built up wooden subfloor in a basement, static can be horrendous. The only solution besides replacing your carpet and padding is to walk around in barefeet or carry a 1 megaohm resistor around and touch the end to grounded metal every once in a while.... not exactly practical unless your a hardcore electronics engineering nerd (believe me, I know some who are like this)
I've worked as a consultant for several computer labs and server rooms that had static problems and most of them had carpet padding made for high moisture basement applications and had a wooden subfloor beneath it. We replaced the carpet and padding (or removed it all togethor) and problem solved.
You could also spray your apartment down with water, but I think you might not get your security deposit back.