Originally Posted by tdewey10
It is still a nice machine, if the right deal (circa $1700 w/ USXGA+)comes along in the next few weeks, I'll return my just ordered 8600 for it. CPU isn't that much of a bottleneck for games these days, mainly the GPU--and the 9100 should be able to upgrade to the M12.
And it doesn't have those silly XPS quicksnap covers.
I doubt that you'll be able to upgrade to the m12:
- Dell has only said anything about gfx card upgradability for the XPS(even though hardware should be the same for the 9100)
- The XPS gfx card upgrade is gonna be a one-time only deal and to a card that will be released in may/june.
- All points to that this new card will be the geforcefx5700 go
- The m12 should only be available several months after the r420 desktop gpu has shipped: more like christmas
- An IBM gpu roadmap (can't find the link) already indicated a late 2004 m12 release, and just like its desktop counterpart, it should be pci express.
Too bad though, if the m12 has 8 pixel pipelines and a 256bit memory interface we'd be talking double the performance in games of the m11
I'm still gonna try and buy the 9100 , if only I could find a way to buy one in a country where Dell doesn't sell its Inspiron notebooks