Intel’s Merom price per 1000 units is supposed to be exactly the same as the current Core Duo prices. However that doesn’t mean that notebook manufacturers aren’t going to charge a premium over the price they had been offering Core Duo at. I wouldn’t expect to pay a drastically higher price but you never know.
Merom pricing: http://digitimes.com/mobos/a20060717PB213.html
Core Duo pricing: http://www.intel.com/intel/finance/p...ice%20sheet%22
From everything I have read it seems like Core 2 Duo is giving around a 20% increase in performance for most tasks, but it seems like those who are doing audio and video encoding are seeing a significantly higher increase in performance. This is just what I have read, so I may be wrong, anyone who is currently using a Merom processor is much more qualified to tell you what sort of performance increase Merom will give you.
I would say that if you aren’t planning on doing a substantial amount of audio or video encoding and you really, really need a notebook right now go ahead and order a Core Duo. But if you will be doing a lot of a/v encoding or aren’t in desperate need of notebook at this time just wait for Merom, I don’t think you’ll need to wait more than another 2 or 3 weeks, but that time frame is based on an educated guess.