IE7 is the latest piece of software that I can add to my "Bite My Ass, Krispy Kreme" list. RC1 wouldn't install on my m170. RC2 wouldn't install on my desktop. The release version now won't install on my Gen2. IE7 had never been an attempted previous install on any of the machines when I tried it. I wanted each version on each machine separately to compare them.
When IE7 installs, it's good. It's not as good as Firefox, due to the lack of freely available plugins. But a marked improvement.
Tonight I installed the released version on my m170, which took quite a while. Odd. Then I attempted it on my Gen2 and was given a hosed machine. The install failed, the self-uninstall hosed IE6. Rebooting hosed Windows Explorer. The only thing that revived the machine was a Safe Mode System Restore.
I will have a real belly-laugh at work when my boss decides to allow IE7 to be installed on our network and half the machines freak out.
The frustrating thing is that the errors I'm experiencing with installation happen RIGHT at the last step in the process. The error in the IE7.log do not match anything that Microsoft has documented on their Troubleshooting page.