Originally Posted by Karl
Lurkingjayhawk... Easiest way to do it is to...errr...well... "register" 3dmark03 by any means necessary.... then:
1. Under "tests" click select,
2. Turn off everything except "Game Tests" and "GT4 - Mother nature," by far the most stressful and varied test, then click OK
3. Under "Settings", click "Change"
4. Crank the res up to 1920x1200, leave AA alone, turn texture filtering to Anisotropic and an anisotropy level of 16. Under "repeat and loop", "loop all selected tests". click OK.
5. Click "Run 3dmark". From a cold machine you'll get several runs. From a "warm" machine (one that's been sitting at the desktop for a few minutes), you'll be lucky to get through 2 or 3. If you can run for hours, then you're a lucky man
I had my XPS on for about an hour prior to doing this. I made through about 10 cycles with no issue, the thing still only go lukewarm at best. I think I do have a problem with my fans though, based on what I've indicated in the past. During this test they never changed speeds, so I can only assume they're stuck on high. This may be why I'm having luck. I figure I'll call them sooner or later on this, but I'm kinda leary to have it fixed before they have a fix on your issues. Since I have a 3 year warranty, it's not a big concern.
If you guys have any questions on my setup or anything, let me know. Its pretty much factory default reinstall with no dell crap or utilities. I've upgraded every MS upgrade on their site.