OK People If your installing MD3 on a Vista system then please try the following:
!!!THIS COMPLETELY FORMATS AND DELETES ALL DATA ON YOUR HDD SO BE WARNED !!!
!!! MD3 WILL RECONFIGURE YOUR HDD FOR USE WITH ITSELF, WINDOWS & DELL DIAGS !!!
1. Boot from MD3 and let it prep your drive whatever way you prefer (100% of the disk is what I done).
2 .Reboot and boot from Vista DVD and install Vista.
3. Once Vista is installed go straight to "Control Panel
" and open "User Accounts and Family Safety
" then into "User Accounts
" and TURN OFF "User Access Control" from here and reboot when asked.
4. Once rebooted put the MD3 DVD in the drive and CANCEL the automatic install (Press ESC to cancel)
5. Explore the DVD and go into the folder called "DELLKIT" and right click on the file called "DELLKIT.EXE
" and select "Run As Administrator". This will then bring up the same install screen for MD3 and hit Enter. This should now let you install MD3 into Vista with no problems and now REMOVE THE DVD from the system.
6. Shutdown the system.
7. Press the MD button on your system and it should boot Dell MediaDirect and runs its "First Time Setup" screen.
8. Reboot again and then load Vista and lauch MediaDirect for Windows and goto the "Settings" option to
configure the folders you want to use for Music, Video etc... ie. C:\Users\Mark\Music
9. Now download the latest DellDiags Partition Upgrade exe currently at v1288. The filename is "DDUP1288.exe" the link is ftp://ftp.dell.com/diags/ddup1288.exe
and run this exe which will extract the files to "C:\dell\drivers\R135734".
10. Right click on the file in this folder called "UPDIAGUD.EXE
" and select "Run As Administrator" and this should now install Dell Diags into the diags partition on your hard drive with Media Direct created earlier.
11. Once complete reboot and press F12 at the bios screen and select "Diagnostics". This should do a quick scan then boot the diagnostics partition! Reboot once you get it loaded.
12. Goto STEP 3 above and ENABLE UAC again and reboot.
So now you have everything working as it should (hopefully):F12 to load your DIAGS partitionPOWER button to load VistaMD button to Load Dell MediaDirect
MD cannot install nor can the diags upgrade program due to Vista's UAC security and the fact that no user has full admin rights. By disabling UAC (I recommend you DO NOT
leave it turned off) and right clicking the installers manually and running them as a full Admin, it lets the programs have full access to the partitions and therefore they can install correctly.
These are the steps I took to finally get MD3 installed with Vista and since then it has worked perfectly.
I welcome any questions or corrections anyone might have on this.
This may be helpful as a Sticky in the forum if the Forum Admins wish to use it please let me know.
Mark - aka IrishLad