Okay, I am a NEW POSTER. Signed up just to throw my information out there for y'all to ponder.
My E1705 was working FINE. I sent it in for repairs because the USB ports were loose and the TV output didn't work at all.
First, I had my unit "repaired". They broke it. Literally. Fork lift through the side of the box...
tech told me to plug it in and use it anyways. against my better judgement, I did.
The unit had always made the hair on my arms stand up.... but this time, it SHOCKED ME. Now, I said a forklift went through the side of the box, remember? Well, the physical damage that was apparent to the unit was the screen was bent outta whack and the Dell circle logo got dented.
After that FIRST shock, I whipped out Ye' Olde MultiMeter. I got 38Volts off each screw. Hour later, 84volts. Hour later, 135Volts.
I called Dell back, got a runaround for over a week until I screamed at one guy "The $%*ing thing SHOCKED ME!" Got transferred to Customer Resolution and a rep called Ivan.
Ivan was shocked at the runaround I recieved (I even had one person "promise to send you a brand new upgraded laptop", "no replacements are possible legally because of our insurance practices", "you must pay for the repairs, we aren't responsible for shipping incidents")
He told me more than he should have, but I am totally calm (almost!) on this whole subject now...
He assured me the reps that lied to me (he played the recordings back to confirm the guilty parties) were immediately fired... and then promptly began to promise me a brand new replacement with upgrades (just like one other did before)- BUT only after I shipped this unit back for repairs again.
Sent back, "repaired" again. The whole unit had been replaced- except for the innards. Same LCD, new LCD casing. Same keyboard, new bottom chassis. Etc.
I was overjoyed at first- after 2 weeks I finally apparently got this thing fixed. I fired it up, installed Oblivion back... played for about 4 hours straight.
I live in Florida. It is hot, even this time of year. Some jerk said something about not being able to be shocked, remember? Well, a HOT laptop in a HOT lap on a HOT day equals perspiration!
When I shut down the machine after playing Oblivion, and I reached to pull the top down.... ZZZZAAAAAAPPPPP!!!!!!
It shocked me so bad this time that I jumped instantaneously outta my chair, knocking the laptop down, and proceeded to fall on the ground (chair flew out from behind me). My whole body twisted so quickly from the shock, I couldn't control ANYTHING.
Now, I've been in a horrible car accident, got nerve damage... I've broken my back, and had those muscle tensing machine hooked up to me before.
The shock I got from that damn laptop was worse than the time I told the tech to crank the power to max on the tensing machine. And I've got NERVE DAMAGE. How much freaking voltage did it take to make ME do that?!?!
I'm also an electronics buff of sorts (got an A.S. in Electronics and Engineering), and I am fully aware of the dangers of this type of voltage.
It may be a "one in 10,000,000" chance of getting shocked.... (sorry for caps)
BUT I GOT SHOCKED TWICE FROM DIFFERENT MACHINES. SHOCKED SO BAD I FLEW OUTTA MY CHAIR AND ****DROPPED**** THE LAPTOP AND MYSELF TO THE FLOOR.
I have told Ivan that if I don't recieve a fixed unit or a full refund this next time around I'm video-taping the two units I have being tested for voltage and sending it to CNN, FOX, ETC.
Waiting for a response, email was sent an hour before I wrote this.