I have the Dell Inspiron 6400 and I just checked for the stray voltage. I found that all but 3 of the screws on the bottom have 55.6V to ground when plugged into an outlet. My computer was shipped out with the 2 prong adapter! I noticed that right away when I opened the box and I thought to myself, why didn't they send out a grounded power supply.....but I thought oh well, until I read this post!
My question is, i've only been using this lappy for about 3 to 4 days, and i've had it plugged in for 2 of those days....Do you think that it has already done some damage on my internal components??? Knowning that pretty much all of the things under the hood of this laptop are rated DC voltage only, and not AC?? If so, would it be worth it to get a replacement from Dell?? I really don't want to send it off and wait another few weeks I just got it and it seemed like an eternity while I was waiting to get it. Just wondering since, i'm not getting the parity error or anything like that, and everything seems to be ok, but! I only have the 1 year warrenty...so i'm a little worried, and I don't want to have it break 1.1 years down the road, and then be out of luck.
So If I were get have dell send out the 3 prong grounded adapter, do you think that everything would be ok? Or do you think that the 56 volts AC has already done some damage on my components? Stressed them and taken a few years off of it's lifespan??
*EDIT* Dell just told me that I would have to purchase my own adapter, that they can not ship me out anything that they didn't originally send out with the laptop at the time of purchase??? How stupid is that...