Originally Posted by pegazuz
That is great you were able to do it. I spent several daystrying to restorefunction by re-instaling the EPower software and searching for files to replace those that seemed missing but couldn't come up with any fix. Maybe you could post some hints here for the next guy that has this problem on how you fixed it cause I am sure it will happen to others.
I welcome your invitation and gladly share those tips that may help other experiencing similar problems. There is an extensive body of knowledge regarding power management, Windows boot options and hardware application layer dynamic link libraries over the Internet. Hence I'll skip those details and directly enter to the step-by-step procedure that worked for me. First I must tell that the root cause was a corrupt hal.dll that I replaced with one I found in the I386 folder without knowing it didn't support power management. 1. I added a boot option in my boot.ini file with a switch to load a different hal (halaacpi, which is the library suitable for uniprocessor ACPI-enabled computers). The resulting file looked like this: [boot loader] timeout=30 default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\\WINNT [operating systems] multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetectmulti(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\\WINNT="Microsoft XP Professional - Alternative HAL" /HAL=halaacpi.dll 2. Rebooted and selected the recently added boot option. 3. Renamed hal.dll to hal.old (or whatever name is easily detectable for rollback purposes in case this procedure does not work). 4. Copied halaacpi.dll to hal.dll. 5. Removed the boot option inserted in step 1. 6. Rebooted and voilá!