I know that the last post on this thread was a couple of months ago, but I do have half a solution to the problem with pcmcia drivers on Vista on the TM 810x.
Acer have published an updated BIOS for PATA hard drive machines (3C25)http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers...k/tm_8100.html
Flash that (I used a DOS bootable CD) and phlash16.exe.
Uninstall any of the Acer provided drivers for 02Micro. In device manager, you should see a "Base System Device" with a yellow bang, and one of the three O2Micro controller entries has a yellow bang.
Download the original XP PCMCIA drivers from the same link as above, but just extract the files; don't run the install. Update the driver of the base system device by pointing the hardware wizard at your extract location. It should turn into the accelerator device. Then update the drivers for the Controller devices by pointing them at the v3.0.0 Vista drivers at the same link above.
Next, in device manager, find the "Intel(R) 82801 PCI Bridge - 2448" device under System devices. Right-click on it, properties, driver, Update Driver. Choose "Browse my computer..." then click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer". Select the Microsoft Driver (this is the one used by default) and click "Next". Despite the fact that it is the same driver as the current one, Vista will re-install it.
In my case, after a few seconds of Windows reloading all the dependent drivers, your drive letter from the card reader should appear (and an AutoPlay dialogue).
Downside is, once you reboot it stops working, but the PCI Bridge driver re-install seems to work for me every time and actually only takes a minute to do.
I found an article on Microsoft's TechNet that I don't pretend to properly understand, but which talks about changes to the PCI architecture in Vista and how device drivers have to manage resource allocation slightly differently. Apparently it's a "proper" implementation of PCI Express, whatever that is. Anyway, it sounded as though it might be relevant.
Finally I'd like to echo other comments here about Acer's customer services. In the UK they outsource to a third party, who (I discovered by badgering them) actually have no more technical resources to draw on than Joe Public does from the website. They have absolutely no interest whatsoever in finding out what your problem is, only in explaining why it's not their problem and this is made clear in Ts and Cs etc. I complained to Acer's head office and, amazingly, got a call from one of the more senior staff at said third party (can't remember the name of the company). He was an even bigger cretin than the other people I'd spoken to and refused to even acknowledge the possibility that Acer had actually posted drivers that didn't work. I tried to explain the perverse paradox of refusing to accept any support cases that didn't relate to "known issues" but I honestly think he was too stupid to even begin to grasp the principle.
So, never buying Acer again, telling all my clients and colleagues. Absolutely and utterly unacceptable.
I do hope my little "workaround" helps some others. Although I suspect it's the BIOS update that is the main difference, I didn't try the PCI Bridge driver thing until after flashing so don't actually know which of those it was. Machine does seem faster now, though.