I mentioned that Acer downloads specfically, since they do not change and was the source of the version that I downloaded. The version of the wireless that resolved ths issue was Broadcom 802.11bg Wireles LAN Driver v.220.127.116.11. The drvier was a XP driver, as specified on the webstie for the 5610Z model notebook. Although not for Vista specifically, it appeared to work fine in Vista Home Basic. I found no wireless Vista specific drivers for the laptop on the Acer site, so I had to use the XP version. They had everything else, but not that one. I cannot find the version of the wireless driver on Broadcom's site that I previously downloaded that caused all the problems. I'm not in front of the machine at this time. I will follow up with that version when I can.
I did not change the wired driver in any way. That was not the source of my problem. I would suggest looking for Vista specific drivers from the Acer site; Vista link is available off of the main download page. If you cannot find the correct driver there, getting and installing the XP version might help. It certainly did in my case. Also, there may be a new firmware under the Vista specific download area. There was no new BIOS in the standard (XP) 5610Z downlaod area, but the Vista specific download area did in fact have a newer BIOS that I just found today. I have not applied it, but this may have fixed some issues with more recent drivers.
Also, customer support sent me a suggestion, and I'll pass it along. It's stupid, but it also would have fixed the issue; reload the OS and applications from the system setup disk. I chose to save this path as a last resort, since I did not want to waste a lot of time reinstalling the current isntalled applications and tools. Fortunately in my case, this was not necessary.
As a side note, I'm also having issues with the msame machine and its ability to recognize USB storage devices when plugged in. It sees them, but fails to load or find appropriate drivers for the devices. I had to manually point it at the c:\windows\system32 directory for each aspect of the device; twice for the usb part and once for the storage part (the drive letter recognition). Then the drive was recognized, produced a drive letter, and worked fine. I'm still wandering down that path to figure out how to make that automaticlly go to that as a source of drivers. It worked flawlessly at one time. There is at least one post about this issue that made the suggestion of the manual install directory selection. I'll have to see if there is any more to that.
I hope this helps. I hope that you can resolve your issue.