In case someone else runs into this problem with MediaDirect 3, I thought I'd share my workaround. The problem on my Inspiron 6400/E1505 was that after I installed Dell's urgent patch, I could no longer see my Contacts in MediaDirect. I contacted Dell on Chat first, but since I was at work at the time, i did not have all of my CD's with me. So that night I did a System Restore, repaired WIndows and repaired Outlook. My laptop runs Windows XP Home SP2. None of these things made any difference, but since the laptop was only a month old, a lot of other things were installed or configured after that restore point, so I spent two days fixing those things. I also contacted Dell by email and was told that they could not help me via email, to please call them. I called them this morning and after listening to the problem they wanted to send my to Advanced Software Support. Which I was willing to do until I found out that is fee based. So the proprietary configured software that Dell installed would not be covered by my warranty. I thought about what was happening and tried a couple more things on my own. Then I took the contents of my Outlook Contacts and exported a copy to WIndows Address book, and from there to Outlook Express, which I don't use. Changed the settings in MediaDirect to look at Outlook Express and that worked! This transfer is not quite straightforward, so here's the key: Select all of the Outlook Contacts you want and export them to a comma delimited .csv file (Windows). Then from Windows Address Book, import the file. Then change MediaDirect setting for Contacts to look at Outlook Express.
post #1 of 1
6/23/07 at 10:33pm