Originally Posted by andianjul
I have removed Vista from my Gateway MT6831 laptop and installed Win-XP. Everything works except the sound. I have installed the M-Soft HDA patch (KB888111) both before and after installing the sound driver. Depending on which Gateway sound driver that I install, I get a message that my device is malfunctioning, or it is the wrong driver for that device. I have tried both Vista and XP drivers. The audio device is a Sigmatel 9250 sound card. Sigmatel refused to help me. Gateway's support is as good as useless. It's a pity, because it is such a neat laptop for my daughter who is in college, 1.73GHz Centrino Core 2 Duo, 160GB SATA HD, 2GB Ram, 15" Widescreen.
Hi all.. After reading a lot of post over the internet I came with a solution to this particular issue. I'm quoting Andianjul because I have a MT6841 with identical specs.
I tried every patch and driver I have found without results until I realized that under 'Device Manager' on My computer properties only the 'PCI device' was not recognized. SO, I tried to set it up and when it asked me for drivers I picked up the folder for D00460-003-001 driver cab. No results here either. So then I explored this folder (c:\cabs\D00460-003-001) and it contains a folder named HADQFE with the KB888111 hotfix for several operating systems. Then, I first uninstalled the previous hotfixes and rebooted. When the systed was loaded I got KB888111 for Windows XP SP2 installed and then tried to update drivers for the PCI device and it worked. The modem sound device still doesnt work but uses a modem these days anyway?
I guess you can download D00460-003-001.exe from gateway.com and follow this walkthough:
1. Download D00460-003-001.exe and extract files to its default folder c:\cab.
2. Uninstall all previous KB888111 hotfixes or another fixes for High Definition Audio you may have installed. Reboot.
3. Go to c:\cabs\D00460-003-001\HDAQFE and install kb888111 for your operating system. Mine is Windows XP pro with SP2 son I installed XPSP2. It may need to boot again, I can't quite remember.
4. Tried to update drivers for PCI device and when it ask for drivers go to c:\C:\cabs\D00460-003-001 or C:\cabs\D00460-003-001\WDM.
5. You have to hear you speakers now, I needed to boot her again.
Hope this helps you guys to get it done. If you want me to help you personally take a plane to Sonora, México or mail me back.