Acer Apsire 5930G vs Dell XPS m1530
Hello, I am currently shopping for a 15.4" laptop and I am struggling to choose between the 5930G and the m1530. Please help make up my mind. You can post any subjective opinion to convince me one is better than the other
The laptop will be a Christmas gift for my girlfriend.
I am determined to install Windows XP on this laptop.
Acer Aspire 5930G Specifications CPU: Core 2 Duo P7350 2.0Ghz
Display: 15.4" TFT (1280x800)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512MB (DDR3)
Memory: 3GB (1x1GB+1x2GB) DDR2 533/667 soDIMM
HDD: 320 GB S-SATA (5400 RPM)
Network: Intel Wireless WiFi Link 5100/5300 (dual band quad-mode 802.11a/b/g/Draft-N)
DVD: DVD Burner – Dual Double Layer (the cheaper, T5800 model has Blue Ray)
Sound: Dolby-certified Surround
WebCam: Yes - Integrated - 0.3MP Orbicam
Modem: Yes - Integrated 56.6 (V90) Modem
Finger Print Reader: No
External Ports: 1xVGA RGB, 4xUSB 2.0, 1xS-Video
Work with Windows XP? Yes
Price: 7490 NOK (excludes delivery: 173 NOK) (~1118 US Dollars)
Dell XPS m1530 Specifications
CPU: Core 2 Duo T8300 2.4Ghz
Display: 15.4" TFT with Truelife (1440x900)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 256MB (DDR2)
Memory: 4GB (2x2GB) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
HDD: 250 GB S-SATA (7200 RPM)
Network: Wireless Dell 1395 (802.b/g)
DVD: 8xDVD+/-RW Slim Slot-Load Drive
Sound: Yes (unknown hardware)
WebCam: Yes - Integrated – 2.0Mp CCFL
Finger Print Reader: Yes
External Ports: 1xVGA RGB, 3xUSB 2.0, 1xS-Video
Work with Windows XP? Yes – Source
Price: 9680 NOK (includes delivery) (~1413 US Dollars)
PRO's and CON's list assuming I'd pick 5930G:
The list has been ordered in relation to their importance (subjective).
- PRO The total cost of the 5930G is 2017 NOK (~294 US Dollars) less than the m1530
- CON A slower, although larger, 5400 RPM HDD is a major disadvantage *.
- CON The display only allows up to 1280x900 while the m1530 allows for a 1440x900 resolution.
- CON The design, although it looks good it is not as pleasing to the eye as the design for the m1530.
- PRO A faster GPU allows for slightly better 3D performance.
- PRO A newer processor that requires lower wattage and as such saves you battery time.
- CON Although newer technology the CPU is slightly slower, mainly because of the difference in clock speed.
- PRO Much better battery time allowing longer sessions when travelling (~4 instead of 2 hours).
- PRO Remarkably silent, although it is unclear whether or not the m1530 suffers from noise the 5930G is one of the quietest 15.4" laptops available.
- CON No FireWire support.
- CON No Finger Print Reader.
- CON Should hardware malfunction occur the workshop for Acer is located in Germany while Dell delivers onsite support during the one year warranty period.
- CON The Webcam on the m1530 (2Mp) is much better than the 0.3 Mp one the 5930G.
- PRO Doesn't have all the Media Direct nonsense that will make the transition to WinXP more complicated.
- PRO 4xUSB 2.0 ports instead of 3.
- PRO Has an integrated 56.6 Modem.
- CON Weighs slightly more.
- PRO Pause/Break is on the same key; m1530 have them on separate keys.
*If I go for the 5930G I would probably purchase an additional separate HDD at 7200 RPM. If I went for a 160GB 7200 RPM disk that would run me an additional 672 NOK (~98 US Dollars). However, this would offer one big advantage; the original Vista installation would be intact on the other drive. That would still mean that the final price comes in at 1345 NOK (~196 US Dollars) less than the m1530.
I guess I should also describe what it will mainly be used for. For the most part it will be used for school work and general surfing, but it will also be used as a media centre (connect to 37" TV via HDMI to play 780p HD movies/series). Additionally, I intend on getting her hooked on Diablo 3 (*evil grin*) so we can play together once that comes out and therefore I want to get a laptop that can actually run the game on decent settings.
Anyway, I can't seem to make up my mind! Please assist
Feel free to suggest additional PRO's and CON's that I might have missed.