|What configurations and options can't you figure out? Post a specific question and I will happily answer it to the best of my ability.
Okay, thanks. I've been laid up with a nasty cold. Today's first day out of bed.
Here are my questions:
1) Why is the OS in "Selective Startup" mode (System Configuration Utility [msconfig.exe])? Why are there three unchecked startup programs (Reader_sl, MsnMgr, Skype) in the "Startup" tab of the System Configuration Utility?
2) Why is "Internet Security" (IE Internet Options) set to "Custom"?
3) Why does the HDD have four partitions: C: (79.99GB NFTS), D: (61.20GB NFTS), PE (7.8GB FATS32), EFI (39MB)? What are they for?
----Are C: and D: for recovery purposes, so that data in D will not be lost when doing an OS recovery to C:?
----Does the supplied DVD allow for selective recovery options (not reformating D
----Is the 39MB EFI partition the Boot Booster? If so, does it need to be deactivated during a selective system recovery?
----Is the 7.8 GB "PE" FATS partition the WinXP OS, for doing a system recovery from the HDD? If not, what is it? If this partition is the WinXP OS, can it be copied from here to an external HDD for recovery purposes (when no external DVD drive is available for recovering from the support DVD?
4) Why does the Device Manager show five identical Plug and Play Monitors under "Monitors"?
5) Why does the Device Manager show two identical Mobile Intel 945 chipsets under "Display adapters"?
6) Why does the Device Manager show two identical Intel Atom CPUs under "Processors"? This apparently makes the Task Manager show two graphs of CPU activity, whereas there is really only one CPU, isn't that right? (The Intel Atom is not dual-core so far as I know.)
7) I ran System Information Collector (a Trend Micro Inc. diagnostic utility) on the computer. SIC found three instances of startup.exe in the Installshield folder, indicating, I believe, that the OS was installed three times. Why?
8) Do I need to update the BIOS (to BIOS 1206?) for reporting correct battery remaining time?
9) Should the OS, WinXP SP3, be updated regularly from Microsoft? Are there any updates that will not work properly on this computer?
10) For longest battery life, should the battery always be left in the computer, or should it be removed when using the computer with AC and monitor (desktop use)? If it should or can be removed for desktop use, should it be removed charged or uncharged? If it should be left in the computer all the time, should the AC supply be left plugged in all the time, or unplugged when the computer is off?
11) What is the correct setting for Super Hybrid Engine when using a CRT monitor?
12) What is the file "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface Drive for WinXP" in the Asus website downloads?
13) Why are there two WLAN drivers in the Asus website downloads?
Lots of questions, I know. Whichever you can answer, I'll appreciate it.