A neighbor recently asked me to take a look at his computer which he thought the grand kids had gotten a virus on. It had been at a computer repair facility for months and they had not repaired it and gotten it back to him.
When he dropped it off it turned out to be a Dell Studio 1735.
I plugged in the charger for a few hours and then attempted to see what the issue was. I had expected it to try and boot up but upon pressing the power button there will be a very brief blink on the screen.
The power light alternates from blue to orange which, according to the Dell manual, means the battery is too hot. However the battery is very cool.
I have removed the battery a number of times and checked the adapter connections but nothing.
One time I did get it to start a boot up as it displayed the boot screen but then it just went black again.
I suspect that it is either the charger or the battery, probably the battery, but I’m certainly not sure so I seek some more informed input.
I checked the charger to notebook terminal and from the outside to the inside it had about 19.52 volts. A Toshiba checks 19.19 volts and an HP checks 19.92 volts. Therefore I am pretty sure that the charger is functioning.
I am not familiar with the Dell products and so I don’t know if they will run with the adapter even though the battery may be bad.
I really don’t want to tell him it is the battery and have him buy another one if that is not the issue.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.