I recently bought the laptop yesterday at a local retail store (i.e Future Shop/Best Buy).
I used it for about 4-6 hours a day test watching some videos through a HDMI cable hooked up to a 8-year old 50" plasma TV screen.
I disconnected it later today, streamed some movies using Media Player Classic-HC, paused it and then returned later (with my laptop sleeping). When I turned it on, to my login screen I seemed to have gotten this flickering grey/white bar to the left side of my screen occupying 40% of the screen, of which I have no idea how it got there.
- Taking the battery out and putting it back in
- Changing Screen Display Resolutions
- Changing Visual Input/Output (F5)
- Changing screen brightness, turning off the backlight and on
- Checking and updating any monitor/video drivers, device manager for any problems
Avail to no success.
Note that I did not :
- Spill anything on my laptop
- Dropped it
Brightness was at 100%, I'm not sure about burn-ins or faulty/damaged screens...
I think I might have slightly nudged the back of the screen earlier, but it was running pretty fine (not really that much force).
So I am not sure where the source of my problem is, and of course its covered with 1-year guarantee and 2-week return policy.
The only notable things I did from yesterday to today :
- Setting up Windows 8
- Upgrading it to Windows 8 Pro
- Performed a Windows "Refresh" with files in-tact
- Installed Windows Updates
- Installed AV, Firewall, Browsers, P2P Software and Miscallaneous
- Uninstalled bloatware
- Downloaded and Streamed Movies to my TV