Replacing Microsoft Bluetooth drivers with Widcomm 188.8.131.52
I got my Ferrari 3400 a couple of weeks ago after reading all the great posts here and pretty much upgraded it to everything you guys recommended. So far, awesome! However, having Bluetooth Nokia6820 cellphone, Bluetooth Sony Ericsson HBH-60 headset, Bluetooth Sony Clie PalmOS pda, DConnex BT GPS and Widcomm BT sw on my desktop PC, I was quite disappointed with the Microsoft SP2 Bluettooth software and decided to do some investigation. I managed to install the latest Widcomm BT software, 184.108.40.206 and it's amazing! I can actually use the bluetooth headset with MSN messanger, I can use the Ferrari 3400 as a Bluetooth headset with my cellphone and Hotsync my Clie using Bluetooth. None of this was possible before except using the phone as an EDGE/GPRS modem and the DConnex GPS with Streets and Trips (a bit challenging to configure)!
Here is how:
1. Rename the file bth.inf to bth.bak in Windows/Inf (if you have XP SP2; it does not exist in XP SP1)
2. Download and install Install the Widcomm software from here:http://www.mobidick.biz/download/blu...w4-0-1-700.zip
3. Download the patch files from here (you will have to register for free first):http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=179871
4. Unzip the patch files, reboot the Ferrari in Safe Mode and copy the patch files to the following locations locations:
c:\windows\system32 - btneighbourhood.dll & wbtapi.dll
c:\program files\widcomm\bluetooth software - bttray.exe & btstackserver.exe (you should be prompted to accept replacing existing ones).
5. Reboot the laptop. The Bluetooth tray icon should turn red (no device connected). Turn Bluetooth on. You will see the original Bluetooth icon in the System Tray too. Update your Bluetooth adapter in Device manager to use the files present in the Widcomm directory (where you unzipped the bcu-btw4-0-1-700.zip file), rather than those in the Windows directory. You can find instructions with screenshots here:http://www.e-beam.com/support/Switch...to_WIDCOMM.pdf
6. Double-click the "My bluetooth places" on your desktop to initiate the Bluetooth wizard and complete the installation.
I thank everyone in here for their great input, especially Snorre, and hope this posts will continue help improve these great laptops!