I just got my 8006 yesterday. So far I'm pretty happy with it. I'm upgrading from an old Tecra 8100 PIII 650 so my review below is comparing it to that. Also I did have a Inspiron 8600 and a IBM T41p but returned both of those. My initial impression is the 8006 is better than both of those.
Performance is pretty good so far. I downloaded a couple of radeon 9700 demos and they run OK but only when on power. Slows right down when running of battery. Not sure if that is the CPU or the GPU.
- Even though it's all plastic, the base and keyboard feel very solid. The keyboard layout will take some getting used to compared to the Tecra but it's very comfortable to type on, feels very solid.
- The sreen is very nice. It doesn't have a wide viewing angle but I knew that going in. It's bright enough and I like the 1400x1050 resolution.
- Very quiet compared to the Tecra, even when the fan is running.
- Keeps very cool. Most of the heat is around the hard drive.
dissapointments (nothing major):
- The LCD shell is plastic too. I assumed that was metal. It flexes more that what I'd like.
- a single blue dead pixel. Fortunately I bought it from PC Torque so should be able to swap it if I want.
- not too sure of the usefullness of the four way scroll button. Not sure if I like touchpads in general though, I'm very used to the layout of the tecra (trackpoint).
- DVD burner feels a little flimsy. Solid enough when closing but loose when open.
- The 4 in one card reader isn't finished off too well. Looks like the edge of the circuit board is exposed. Just doesn't look very neat.
- Sound isn't the best. Excellent volume but tinny.
New these going in but they are still downers:
- narrow angle LCD. For what I use it for it's fine but this should be the first thing Acer change for the next model.
- 512Mb is 2x256 so upgrading is more expensive.
- 4200rpm drive. I'll probably upgrade this at some point.
Overall I think it's good value at $2600 it's definitely better value that the Inspiron or IBM, both were over $3k.
Now I just have to decide do I return it for the dead pixel...