ive had the exact same wireless connectivity problem as Furious Jam (also noted in another thread). signal strength is good/excellent but actual connectivity is no good when not within 5 ft of wireless router. connectivity is almost nil when the lappy is on my lap!
what ive tried:
- different wireless networks (work, friends places) but same shoddy connectivity
- installing the intel proset wireless manager and disabling windows wireless management; that helped connectivity consistency (fewer drops) but did not help improve signal/range
- reseating antenna and minipci b/g card but no improvement
so i finally got my ass to call AW support and heres what transpired:
- i explained my connectivity issues. tech walked me through the same steps i noted above again just to be sure. no cigar. at the end, the tech determined that they would send me a new minipci b/g. all they required was that i send back my current minipci b/g card upon reciept of my new one. what they require though is to take down my credit card info as a deposit so i dont "forget" to send back the old wireless card. of course the third-party website that handles that was down so the tech told me to wait a few hours, call back, and they would take care of the rest.
- hours pass and i call back, explain my situation, and the tech puts me on hold. he returns saying that they cannot authorize the replacement of a part w/o having gone through all the "steps" that they have to go through. what he needed me to do was reinstall windows because he thinks its a software issue. he said he's almost 100% sure that that should resolve the problem. i told him it didnt make much sense because my lappy arrived with a fresh install of windows and the wireless was always shoddy but i didnt feel like i could rally this situation towards any goal. i just want my wireless to work.
- needless to say, im not to thrilled about having to go through reinstalling windows (primarily due to the time its going to take to back up my stuff and step through it all).
- what im most irriated about is that i have two people telling me two different things.
so tonight i guess ill have to back up my files and spend an hour or so on the phone. i wish there was an easier way but i guess there really isnt. bleh...
suggestion to others with this problem:
- call AW support and let them know that this isnt a few isolated incidents (unless it is...heheh). if they have a zillion-point inspection and this many sentias are getting out the door with poor wireless performance, they need to know to help them get their act together, to help us get our issues resolved, and to prevent future sentia owners from having these same issues. rock on!