I see... Although I don't have time to read all the posts, but here's my lil piece of advice.
No matter what driver you are running now. This is just to test and make sure it's not a hardware issue and so u can avoid all the RMA issues... Do as I say here:
1) go to sagernotebooks.com and download the latest 3790 video driver MADE BY SAGER. It should be under the support section.
2) go to www.driverheaven.net
and download "DriverCleaner 3.3" Instal it.
3) now go to control panel and UNINSTAL what ever you are running now. Make sure it's completely GONE. It will ask you to restart your system, select yes. If not, restart after uninstalation complete manually.
4) windows should boot up looking ugly and big. now run DriverCleaner 3.3 and select "ATI" from the list and click clean. RESTART your system after clean is completed.
5) windows reboot up ugly again, this time, instal the driver you downloaded earlier from Sager themselves.
That should ensure that you have installed the driver correctly w/ no conflicts w/ old stuff.(assuming you did everything correctly) I have done this, and verified that it works. I was able to run Counter Strike Source at 1280x800 and select various widescreen resolutions for my desktop other than my native resolution of 1680x1050.
If you had followed the exact procedure I listed and still having problem, you can be assured that it is indeed a hardware problem.