|Originally posted by Uthanatos
not sure about LCD's but on CRT's you DO NOT use windex, it eats away at a little coating on your monitor that protects your eyes from all kinds of nastey stuff. I would assume LCD's are the same so I woudl suggest a damp clothe with some water on it.
Last time I checked, I believe CRT's use leaded glass to protect you from energetic radiation engendered by high-power electrons hitting a barrier... God, I hope the lead doesn't wash out, I'd be poisoned twice! (Once by lead, another by radiation)
Windex is generally pretty safe. The amount of ammonia in it is VERY little, because even a very small amount would send you running out of your house. If you're paranoid, water always works best. Eyeglass cleaner/cloth would also work.