I can't believe that this post is still active. :)
I bought the 5680 in the fall of 2003 like many others and here are the problems that I've had.
1. I just replaced the cable going from the MPB to the LCD. It set me back 58.00. I just opened the LCD one day and smoke rolled out. I pulled it apart removed the bad cable and used an external monitor until I got the new part in. This took the better part of the day as this cable is snaked through the center of this notebook
2. There are some "bruises" on the lcd that I think were caused by me upgrading the RAM and not having the keyboard in the right place.
3. The hinges cracked and I replaced the LCD cover. They have cracked again and I'm not going to replace it.
4. The power brick died and had to be replaced.
Everything else has been pretty good. It's been almost 3 years now and I'm still using this as my main PC, but I'm also looking for a new laptop.
The good new is that with all these problems I have been able to find the parts that I needed to effect the repairs. I guess its the hacker in me. I've really enjoyed the experience. The system is as fast as any desktop in its class and just portable enough to drag around.
Here's my wish list for a replacement.
1. Lighter. 8+ pounds is just too much to carry around everywhere, and I've dragged this thing everywhere. Its been from South Carolina to South Korea and back.
I also took it to work everyday.
2. Quiter. I don't notice it as much as others around me but it do.
3. Better build quality. Cracking plastic casing is not something I'm looking for in my next notebook.
I would still consider a sager for my next notebook, but I'm really leaning toward something under 5 pounds. I could take something that small with me everywhere indeed.