I have developed a fix for the popping problem.
First you will have to completely uninstall ALL Creative software on your system. Use drivercleaner to finish it off.
Ok.... now that you have done that,
Completely uninstall all of the onboard sound software/drivers. Use drivercleaner to finish that off too....
DO NOT REINSTALL THE ONBOARD SOUND IN ANY WAY. Let it stay unrecognized. It wont hurt anything. It may even help by releasing the bandwidth it might still be using even when the SB is active.
1. Download the latest drivers (only the drivers) from Creative's website
2. Insert the Audigy card.
3. Install the drivers you just downloaded.
4. Insert the Audigy install disk.
5. Choose the advanced installation mode.
As you go through the screens you will come to a list of components to install. On this list you will see "windows drivers" That is what you just installed earlier.
6. Uncheck windows drivers and any other component you really dont care about.
7. Finish install and enjoy!
This worked beautifully for me so far and the sound through my 5300's is incredible especially when you finetune your speakers with the THX control... ooooo.... i think i just got sexy on myself...