OK, OK everyone...after tons of discussions offline and online, I have made my purchase of an mp3 player. I have selected the ipod 20gb.
1. I have a huge amount of music at 128k, thus 5gb would not be enuff room for me. If the 5gb players supported mp3pro, then that would make things better for me.
2. A friend works at compusa. He told me of the numerous returns of micro due to problems of the unit. BTW, I used his employee discount on ipod and case
3. Carbon has no physical hold button. Thats a showstopper for me
4. The micro looks ugly in real life. The pictures in mags and online make it look nice, but in person it looks deformed.
5. Ipod has a better interface and more solid build than carbon or micro. I can be rather ruff with portable electronix. I have dropped my cell and mp3 CD players quite a bit in the past.
6. With apple's extended warranty they will replace the battery or ipod if there are problems. There is an apple store in my city.
7. With 20gb, I will also use it as a portable hard drive. I wil also store audiobooks on it.
Thus, while I did not want to buy an ipod, it is still the best mp3 player out. This is my first (and hopefully last) apple purchase, altho I wished I had purchase apple stock when it was less than $10 a share years ago
. Its pretty sad that no pc or electronic company can not release a truly competitive product after all of these years. Dell's mp3 players are bulky and ugly with a horrible interface. its like Dell is not even trying to be competitive. Sony's are overpriced, proprietary, and bulky...no wonder they are doing so poorly.
Your thoughts, flames, etc?