Hey guys, first post here, although been watchin from the sidelines for the past weeks. Anyhow.. I too ordered a ZD8000 recently. March 8th to be exact.
- Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Professional
- Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 540 w/HT Technology, 3.2GHz
- 17.0" WXGA+ BrightView Wide Viewing (1440x900)
- 1.0GB DDR2 SDRAM, 400MHz (2x512MB)
- 60 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive
- DVD+/-RW/R & CD-RW Combo w/Double Layer Support
- 128MB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) X600
- 54g(TM) 802.11b/g WLAN w/ 125HSM/SpeedBooster(TM)
- 12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
- Microsoft(R) Works/Money
So this system is slated to be built by the 29th of March and be in my hands, apparently, two days later. Time is of the essence for me since I will be needing this notebook for school. I plan to be very semi mobile with the computer so weight isn't really an issue. I like to game semi occasionally, Half-Life 2, CS:Source, Warcraft III... other than that I do occasional photo editing and generally like a responsive, quick computer. Running on a dino desktop as of now
I logged onto HP the other night and was flabbergasted to find that they were offering the Pentium 640 along with 533MHZ RAM, although they seem to be out of the 7200RPM drives.
Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Professional only $49!!
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 640 w/HT Technology, 3.2GHz
17.0" WXGA+ BrightView Wide Viewing (1440x900)
1.0GB DDR2 SDRAM, 533MHz (2x512MB)
40 GB 4200 RPM Hard Drive---- I plan to swap this with a 7200 which I'll have to buy elsewhere
FREE upgrade DVD+/-RW/R CD-RW Combo w/Double Layer
128MB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) X600
54g(TM) 802.11b/g WLAN w/ 125HSM/SpeedBooster(TM)
12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
So, I evaluated my options...
My options are.
1. Keep the system I have now because 64bit, Intel Step Down, and the larger cache isn't really all that necessary... I also called HP today and they informed me that upgrading the CPU is out of the question because it is soldered onto the motherboard. I kind of find that hard to believe but I'm not sure...
2. Tell HP to cancel the order I previously held and order the new system with the 640 3.2, 1 GB, and 5200 RPM Drive which I will later swap out for a 7200. The catch with all this is that I have to cancel my original order through HP as to get refunded my money. That might not happen in the case that it's already built/being built, in that situation I will have to deny acceptance when it is shipped to me so that it can be sent back to HP and then be refunded.
So I'm left with the prospect of having around 4200 dollars tied up until April 3rd-5th (which is when the Pentium 640 equipped ZD8000 would come). Really is quite a mess, especially after committing to the damn thing. Any comments/suggestions would greatly be appreciated..