I've had no issues on my 903EA. Upgrades as follow (made by me):
- Instalation of a 512MB Kingston PC2100 DDR266 SODIMM
- Changed the CPU from a XP-M 1400+ to a 2000+ (45Watt) - With AS3 TIM
- Changed the 20GB 4200rpm 2MB Cache IBM HDD for a 40GB 5400rpm 8MB Cache Seagate HDD
- Took it apart a few times now
- It's in MINT condition, with no cracks what-so-ever.
The only problem with it is one stuck lit pixel that has been there from the 1st day I powered it up. This laptop is 2 years old now (not yet).
Great machine as well as sturdy. The keyboard owns my Acer big time. Props to Compaq for building such a professional looking/sturdy machine. Love it to the bits