Originally Posted by p2g
If this person is is reffering to the z71v then they have not seen too many laptops. I think what he/she means is that there are darker spots on the screen in certain light at certain angles. This is very common to alot of screens made by different manufacturers. I cant say its anything but a defect which is very equivalent to the dead pixel scenario. A small percentage of people may find this very annoying and would get very irritated. These are the same types of people (no discrimation intended to anyone who returned a laptop becuase it had a single or even 2 dead pixel) who return a laptop becuase it had a dead pixel or 2. If anyone has seen a laptop with a dead pixel especially a hi res laptop like this one with a dead pixel you should know that its the equivalent if a quater inch long scratch on your brand new bumber. In other wordsYou can only see it if you look for it. Also the poster never bothered to load a picture on, watch a movie or play a game. This anomaly goes away. Not all of them have this. I ve seen a few. My advice is if you dont like it and cant deal with it DO NOT USE A.L.S. (AMBIENT LIGHT SENSOR). Infact you have to disable the device. Had the poster tried this a return could have avoided a return. Guess i just dropped the bomb.
The more I read these forums the more I understand that some (certainly note all) respondents probably work for companies who sell these products. Yes, my screen may be unique in that it has this defect, but:
1. Nothing software driven works to correct this, not even what you are are referring to (ambient light sensor). it's a joke.
2. I have tried all backgrounds available in winxp. You can see it on all backgrounds except black. mostly on green. there is no need to load a movie. any internet/email/wordprocessing etc is done on white backgrounds. I got a headache after looking at it for 20 mins.
3. This is like having 2/3rds of the screen covered in dead or inactive pixels.
4. I have seen many laptops on this category in similar widescreen resolutions. No probs there.
5. It is not returned yet. Still in intensive testing trying to adjust the screen.