Not necssary to reformat
The major problem with way Dell ships their Laptops or any system for that matter is the HD is not Defragmented
. There are several ways to go about the task of optimizing your system and cleaning it up and reformatting is just one way.
I have achieved 3DMark05 scores over 4300+ with NV6800Go OC'd 365/780 using the 76.50 driver
My AquaMark's benchmark is 61K+
There are some things along with Defragging
that eveyone should do to that desires an optimized system without having to go with the reformat option.
1) Set the pagesys file to a static size. Do NOT let Windows manage it! At least 2.5 time your memory size as recommended by MS.
2) Perform Windows Update and updates all drivers to their most current levels.
from the Add or Remove Programs
option, in Control panel, all programs that you don't want or need
. For example; AOL, EarthLink & Netzero online stuff assuming you don't use it.
4) Then Defragment
5) Remove the pagesys file completely then Defragment
again until there is only a solid blue bar when you analyze your HD.
7) Install your favorite games, utilities or other personal stuff.
8) Defragment again
9) Now that every thing is the way you like it, Set the pagesys file to a static size. Do NOT let Windows manage it!
At least 2.5 time your memory size as recommended by MS.
at least weekly to keep your system optimized.Then follow this guide for controling the starting and stopping of Services on your system. http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm
I think most people just reformat because they have been told it's the quickest & easier way to free up disk space used by unwanted programs with out havong to know anything about Windows.
Have you Deframented your HD today?