I've been monitoring many of the threads here for a few weeks now as I've been tasked with buying 4 systems for my company (I'm the lead designer in our group and I get to pick our new systems Woo Hoo!
) -- and it looks like I'm in the XPS vs. M680 dilemma that many people are in.
My main issues:
1. Weight: We travel a lot. (winner: 680)
2. Battery life: See #1. (winner: 680)
3. Gaming/Graphics. I'm getting older and other things take precedent over gaming now, but blast it... I still need to blow things up once in a while (winner: XPS, by a ton)
4. I want something that is quiet. Very quite. The P4 Sager's we have now are way too loud (and hot and the battery might last an hour if I don't do anything with the system and it weighs a ton). (winner: 680)
5. The screen needs to be big (17") and bright and easy on the eyes: I can spend upwards of 15 hours a day working (yes, I have no life), so the screen obviously needs to rock. (winner: 680)
6. Price: I have to keep this reasonable. Yes, it would be nice to have a blank check, but unfortunately that isn't the case. (winner: 680, based upon comparing apples to apples as much as possible (yes, I know they can't be identical configs))
And, of course, you've got your standard requirements: Speed, wifi, tons of ram, DVDRW/CDRW, etc.
Ok, so those of you who have had both systems (or have a strong opinion on one of the above points) -- please let me know if I'm off base in my winners in those categories as I've got to make this decision soon. (And if you are all good children, I'll update this thread throughout my buying experience (whichever way I decide to go) so you can experience this journey with me -- and so I can point at all of you if I make a bad decision!)
Obviously, I think I'm leaning towards the 680 (despite the XPS having the better video card). But I'm stuck with this decision as my primary system for upwards of 15 hours a day... so obviously I'm fretting over it a bit (not to mention that my team members will kill me if I mess this up!)
Oh, and czm2000 and Vancomycin, thanks for the detailed reviews. They were very helpful. Many others have also posted some great input as well and any suggestions that any of you want to throw my way would be very helpful. (And if there is another system from another manufacturer that I'm missing, please throw those suggestions out as well.)