Originally Posted by thekeane16
I wanna do the same thing. I had always wanted to get 1gb, but had recently forgotten about it. I just checked newegg though and was shocked to see 512mb sticks for 60-70 bucks.
I know that one of the memory slots is hard to reach, so is it OK to leave one of the 256s and replace the easy one with a 1gb?
Yes, it is ok, but you can access the hidden slot, but it's very daunting. To access the hidden slot:
1. Turn over the notebook, there are two (2) screw holes that are labelled with a 'K'. Unscrew those using a phillips head screwdriver.
2. At the back of the hinge of the notebook (where the screen meets the rest of the notebook), there are four (4) screws (two (2) on each hinge). Unscrew those with a smaller phillips head screwdriver.
3. Using a flat head screwdriver or a thin metallic ruler, pop the middle cover of the notebook. This cover contains the power, power management buttons. Try to not break the cover so be gentle.
4. Finally, there are three (3) screws holding down the keyboard, unscrew them with a phillips head screwdriver.
5. Slowly take out the keyboard. I say slowly as it's connected to a ribbon cable. The memory module should be seen.
6. Remove the old module and insert the new module.
Reverse the steps to reassemble the notebook. Before disassembling the notebook, make sure you have removed any power sources such as the AC adaptor and the battery....just to be safe.