Yep, there is a lack of drivers for mobility radeon series from ATi but they promissed to make CATALYST Mobility for all the mobile video chips starting from M10
(though it really exists but only for X600/X700/X800 video cards and four notebook manufactures, more info on their website: www.ati.com
And Now while we don't have such thing we must use ordinary ATi CATALYST for desktop computers, with little file modding it's possible to set it up onto notebook. Hope you haven't deleted your CATALYST 5.6 after error
Step-by-step how to mod and install:
1) Download ATI CATALYST 5.6 w/ Control Pannels
or ATI CATALYST Control Center 5.6
(also supported by modding tool but, I personally don't like CC as it hangs the system)
2) Start unpacking and installing the drivers after download as usual (unpack to default directory at C:\ATI\Support....\... it will be more simple to mod)
Then when the installing dialog menu will appear (to continue press Next and blablabla) press Cancel button and close the setup program.
3) Download Greatest mod tool for notebook graphics - DH Mod tool V2.2
4) Run the DH Mod tool V2.2, choose your video card (Mobility Radeon 9700) and then press Start Mod button, you will see several dialog menus with info that some files were modded successfuly and the program will ask if you want to install the drivers now - you will answer yes
5) During drivers install a window may popup and say that the Mobility Radeon 9700 driver is not digitally veryfied or other blablabla, just press Continue button and then restart your notebook.
6) Congrats! You have just upgraded to the latest CATALYST 5.6
Hope this will help you. Any questions, feel free to ask here
P.S. by the way, ATI highly reccomends 5.6 for all the video cards, they say there is some serious improvment on how the drivers work with the chip and you can see +20-40% increase in some latest 3D games, though I can say 4 sure, GTA San Andreas goes little better