Well, I'll put my thoughts down in one cohesive review maybe tomorrow, but preliminarily, I find little to recommend about the ECS G600:
Poor build quality
- Keyboard flex, particularly around the spacebar
- Keyboard "vagueness", it takes a considerable amount of pressure to register a keystroke, so you'll get some missed ones during faster typing.
- Internal fan is noisy, and I don't mean from the RPMs. There is actually a scratching sort of noise (ballbearings maybe or something loose).
- The LCD lid slam shut issue, this was exhibited in both units and was said by ECS to be "by design"
- Both units had the same "rippling" in the plastic piece above the keyboard.
- Second unit had a crack in the front of the LCD lid in the translucent accent plastic
I spent about an hour playing FarCry and I am literally sweating. There is significant heat being emitted from the keyboard and both palmrests get pretty darn warm.
If I had to point out the positives:
- It IS an attractive design from a purely aesthetic standpoint.
- The GPU performance is pretty impressive
- For a matte screen, the LCD is quite nice, bright and crisp with pretty good viewing angles
- For a laptop, the speakers are pretty good. Don't interpret it to mean that this will become your new home stereo, but relative to other laptops, it's not bad.
Succinctly put, I would never offer this system to my customers.